National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) 2022 Courses
Sunday June 6 to Friday July 1 at Camp Cornhusker
National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home troops and other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
The NYLT course centers around the concepts of what leaders must BE, what they must KNOW, and what they must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW TO. The skills come alive during the week as the patrol goes on a Quest for the Meaning of Leadership.
NYLT is a six-day course. Content is delivered in an outdoor troop and patrol setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster.
NYLT integrates the best of modern leadership theory with the traditional strengths of the Scouting experience. Through activities, presentations, challenges, discussions, and audio-visual support, NYLT participants will be engaged in a unified approach to leadership that will give them the skill and confidence to lead well. Through a wide range of activities, games, and adventures, participants will work and play together as they put into action the best Scouting has to offer.
To attend NYLT, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Have a unit leader recommendation.
- Scouts BSA members must be at least 13 and have the rank of First Class
- Venturers must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eight grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program.
- It is recommended that youth have had at least one year of camping experience. It is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience, they will be used.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C