So What's Ahead? - The Trail To Brotherhood
Your completion of the Ordeal sets you on the start of an exciting adventure. After at least 10 months of active service in the Lodge, you will be eligible to seal your membership with the Order in the Brotherhood Ceremony.
The Ordeal has introduced you to the mysteries of the Order. Now, during your service as an Ordeal member, you have ample opportunity to increase your knowledge of the Order and to make it work for you.
Your brothers in the Golden Sun Lodge stand ready to help you, and you should take advantage of their support whenever possible.
The Challenges of Brotherhood Membership
You must meet five challenges before you can enter the Circle of Brotherhood. The first of these you should meet now. The next three require steady effort over a period of months. The last challenge you must meet after you are satisfied that you are meeting the first four challenges.
1. Memorize the signs of Order of the Arrow Membership. Memorize the Obligation of the Arrow, which you received from Allowat Sakima. Also, memorize the Order of the Arrow Official Song, the Admonition, the sign of the Ordeal membership, and the Arrow handclasp.
2. Advance in your understanding of the Ordeal. Gain a thorough understanding of the Ordeal through which you have passed.
3. Serve your unit. Retain your registration in Scouting. During a period of at least 10 months, strive to fulfill your Obligation by continuing and expanding your service to your own troop.
4. Plan for service in your Lodge. Retain your registration in your Order of the Arrow Lodge and keep your dues paid. Be aware that acceptance of Brotherhood membership involves a pledge of service to the Lodge. Develop a concrete idea of how you plan to fulfill this pledge.
5. Review your Progress. When you earnestly feel that you have met the four challenges above, write a letter to your Lodge Secretary.
• Explain what you think the Obligation means
• Describe how you have been fulfilling this Obligation in your troop or team and in your daily life, and how you have used your understanding of the Ordeal to aid in this service.
• Describe your specific plans for giving service in the lodge program (i.e. Serving as a Lodge or Chapter Officer, being on a Dance or Ceremony Team, etc.)
Bring this letter with you to the event, either the Spring Event or the Fall Pow Wow, when you will take the Brotherhood.